An Assistant Accountant provides support to internal and external customers and will work predominately either as an assistant accountant within a practice or alternatively within the finance function of an organisation. Within this role, you will assist in the day to day financial activities such as data entry, month-end management accounts and/or year-end financial statements. In addition, you could be involved in regulatory financial requirements such as the completion of VAT returns or assisting in the preparation of tax computations.
All entry requirements are set by the employer for each vacancy. Typically employers will as for 5 GCSEs, including Maths and English or a relevant level 2 qualification.*
*You will have to take part in an initial assessment to determine your start point.
What will I study?
- The transactional processes and support provided by accountancy firms or the accounting function within an organisation
- How to enter accounting transactions, perform reconciliation, correct errors and produce a range of reports
- The systems and process of the organisation, such as Sales, Purchase and Payroll
- Basic elements of double-entry bookkeeping and accounting standards required to process financial documents and report financial information to users of accounts
- Current financial standards for basic account preparation
- How to draft final accounts
- How to account for the purchase and disposal of non-current assets
- Basic tax principles to apply current regulations to calculate VAT and submit a VAT return
- How to gather, analyse and report information about income and expenditure
- Support decision-making, planning and control
- How to effectively record and analyse financial data.
- Advanced Bookkeeping
- Final Account Preparation
- Management Accounting
- Indirect Tax
- Ethics for Accountants
- Spreadsheets for Accounting
Why study with us?
Leading provider for accountancy apprenticeships locally.
We work with accountancy firms to develop deliver career-ready certification.
Our tutors are acknowledged AAT experts with years of experience.
You will be assigned an assessor and a progress coach to ensure you are fully supported through your apprenticeship.
What could I do next?
You can progress on to the AAT Professional Accounting Technician Apprenticeship. Or, you could secure a job in a number of career paths including Audit Trainee, Corporate Recovery Analyst, Credit Controller or Tax Accountant.
Apply online for one of our apprenticeship routes and then we will be in touch when we have any suitable vacancies.