Design, install, maintain and support communication networks. You will need to maintain high levels of operation of communication networks to provide maximum performance and availability for users. You will develop an understanding of network configuration, cloud, network administration and monitoring tools.
All entry requirements are set by the employer for each vacancy. Typically employers will as for 5 GCSEs, including Maths and English or a relevant level 2 qualification.* *You will have to take part in an initial assessment to determine your start point.
What will I study?
- How to design simple and apply appropriate security products and processes
- Install and configure network components, including switches, routers and firewalls
- The performance of network systems and services and how to optimise them
- Network systems and how to monitor, test and adjust them to meet accepted standards
- The use of diagnostic tools and techniques to identify the causes of network performance issues
- Structured approaches to troubleshooting network issues and repair faults in hardware, software products and the network
- System upgrades to network hardware, software and operating systems
- Integration of network-related software into an existing network environment
- How to interpret written requirements and technical specifications for network activities to maintain accurate records of maintenance
- The technical support in which is required to end-users
- Effective planning to respond to business issues relating to network engineering
- Principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies (specifically this should include the latest published versions of OSI layer model, IP, TCP/IP, routing and switching, WANs, LANs)
- Causes and consequences of system failure including load balance and storage protocols and respond appropriately
- The best approach when responding to security threats, firewalls and vulnerabilities.
- Network Principles
- Network Systems and Architecture
- Network Security
- Cisco CCNA 1+2
- Microsoft MCP Server 2016
- CompTIA Security+.
Why study with us?
Our success rate is over 96%
We have provided quality IT training to the local community for over 35 years.
Thousands of students have successfully achieved the skills and qualifications needed to progress with their career.
Many of our employers have generations of apprentices with many working their way up to managers and directors!
You can complete additional professional qualifications with us as we have academy status with Microsoft, CompTIA and many more.
What could I do next?
Secure full-time employment in roles such as:
- Network Technician
- Network Engineer
- Systems Engineer.